Sunday, March 25, 2007

25th March 2007

I'm beginning to have this profound respect for wikipedia, and for history too. Or maybe I'm just morbid. I'm currently studying World War 1, and I'm curious about it. I want to know more, and I've just realized that the textbook isn't enough; thus, wikipedia.

Initially, i thought of blogging as i wanted to post a question. Who on earth is Kaiser Wilhelm?

Ahhh wikipedia to the rescue...

[He was the last German Emperor and King of Prussia.]

William II was born in Berlin to Prince Frederick William of Prussia and his wife, Victoria, Princess Royal of the United Kingdom, and grandson of Queen Victoria of Britain.

Then the next question... Huh? If his mother is from the UK, and his grandmother is British, why the heck did he declare war against the British?

For background, the the two alliances involved in World War 1 are the TRIPLE ALLIANCE (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy), and the Entente (Britain, France, Russia) which means understanding. Britain, France and Russia came to an understanding.

Yep, so back to my question, WHY?

Wikipedia again, flys to my aid...

[He also had a very difficult relationship with his mother, who was somewhat cold towards him and whose guilt over his deformity led her to try to "beat" it out of him through a regimen of rigorous exercise......................The future emperor harboured mixed feelings for Britain and the British throughout his life, many of which may be traced to this very early stage of his development.]

[William's relationship with the male members of his family was as interesting as that with his mother. Crown Prince Friedrich was viewed by his son with a deeply-felt love and respect. His father's status as a hero of the wars of unification was largely responsible for the young William's attitude,.................. William also idolised his grandfather, William I, and he was instrumental in later attempts to foster a cult of the first German Emperor as "William the Great".]

Cool eh? =) Right back to World War 1...

No comments: